With just a few weeks remaining in the school year, we want everyone to complete the year in a safe and successful manner. RPA, like all schools in Oregon, received a School Health Advisory for Continuity of Instruction last week. As such, we are reaching out today to provide you with a COVID-19 update, including notice that Deschutes County has been elevated to the Medium category for community risk levels as reported by state and local media including the Bend Bulletin on May 5, 2022. Recently, RPA has also seen an increase in absences due to illness and a rise in student and staff testing positive for COVID-19.
RPA will continue to do what we can to support the health and wellness of our students and staff through the layered mitigation and safety measures including:
- Providing high-quality masks and diagnostic tests for free to those who choose to utilize these tools
- Cleaning all of our buildings on a regular basis
- Encouraging regular hand washing and sanitizing
- Monitoring and maintaining our upgraded HVAC systems and filters
In addition to these measures, RPA is doing the following to address illness within the community:
- RPA is requesting that staff and students who are feeling ill remain home and contact RPA if they are displaying COVID-19 symptoms.
- The Oregon Health Authority and the Department of Education recommend masks while indoors as a precautionary measure for students and staff, especially for those at high risk of contracting COVID-19. Ultimately, the decision to wear a mask rests with families and students.
- RPA continues to follow local and state guidelines regarding isolation and quarantine for those with COVID-19 or primary COVID-19 symptoms, including:
- Individuals who test positive for COVID-19 or who are displaying COVID-like symptoms will be asked to stay home and isolate for at least five days.
- Isolation may end after five full days if the individual is fever-free for 24 hours without the use of fever-reducing medication and symptoms have improved.
- When individuals return from isolation, they are strongly encouraged to mask for an additional five days.
- RPA will continue to operate a COVID-19 response team for anyone that has any COVID-related questions or concerns. The RPA COVID-19 response team will provide email communications to students and families when there is a potential COVID-19 exposure within their classes.
- Additionally, RPA will continue to provide free rapid COVID-19 tests to any RPA staff or students who require testing.
- RPA also continues to monitor, in partnership with Deschutes County Public Health, for high rates of absenteeism.
We continue to appreciate your understanding and support as we navigate this time together. Our commitment remains to provide all students with a proficiency based education in a personalized learning environment that is safe, positive, and enriching. Please regularly check your email and RPA’s website for the most up-to-date information.